Monday, January 31, 2011

In a Snit.

"I had to write three nonsensical paragraphs and label the pronouns, verbs, subject, etc. for my English 2010 class... I chose to write about us four :) Enjoy. Not everything is final... I'll leave it open to interpretation... I also hate the fonts we are limited to on here."

Hannah Groom
Dr. Paul Tanner
English 2010
28 January 2011
Knitting
In the late months of last year, 2010, I discovered the incredible art of knitting. I was musing the shelves of the Orem Public Library when I came across a curious looking book. It was a book called “Chicks With Sticks (It’s a purl thing)” by Elizabeth Lenhard. The cover is decorated with three pairs of legs and the early stages of yarn development into a WIP (Work In Progress). I fell in love with the book, not to mention it’s sequel and the final book. The series is set in Chicago where four girls are struggling to get through high school without losing their marbles, or in this case knitting needles. The Indie geek, hard core punk, fashionista, and Joe Shmoe: Bella, Tay, Amanda, and Scottie meet by chance through a common store called “Knitwit” and slowly develop an “un-froggable” friendship. With the help of Knitwit’s owner Alice, they take their knitting to the next level and learn things about life and themselves they couldn’t have found otherwise.
With the help of “the chicks” I have, like Scottie, found some friends of my own that share a similar subconscious link. Kaitlyn, the urban chick with a flair for style (that also shares my obsession for yarn). She has long blonde hair that glimmers as it cascades down her back, cute rosebud lips, and indubitably green eyes. Jamie, the outdoorswoman of our clan, also has visibly green eyes with eyelashes you could sweep the floor with they are so long. Her hair is also long with a dirty blonde sheen. Then there is Kristee, she is by far the most insightful of us all. She has a knack for expression that ceases to amaze us. She has beautiful auburn locks that reach past her shoulders, she also has undeniably green eyes. The three of these remarkable chicks plus me create the clan. I met Jamie in the Utah Valley University parking lot, there we exchanged information and proceeded to engage socially the following weekend. At the engagement I was introduced to Kaitlyn and Kristee. We all became fast friends instantly. It’s interesting because if you didn’t know any better, you would think we’d been friends for years.
Following the conclusion of The Chicks With Sticks trilogy, I noticed the unmistakeable similarities between “My Chicks” and “The Chicks.” Jamie is definitely the Bella of the group, carefree, happy, and creative. I dare say Kristee is the Tay, frequently sarcastic, occasional angry spells about silly things, and creative. Kaitlyn is probably the Amanda of our group, well dressed, amusing, blonde. I dub myself the Scottie of our sticks, I am the narrator of our lives, just like Scottie, I introduced knitting to the group (they’ll pick it up eventually),  Scottie is a key human being to us all. (This is definitely up for debate.) Knitting has created a special bond between Kaitlyn and I, we recently made a Michaels run to purchase more yarn, I’ve got a feeling this is going to be a frequent happening. Although Kaitlyn and I share the knitting bond, but we are all like a WIP, like every stitch of a WIP gets tighter and more perfect with practice, “Slick, Patches, Scooch, and Guru” are all like that WIP. 

2 comments:

  1. even thou you read it to me earlier I still love this!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good! haha I am so glad! I dare say I like it too haha, It's fun! I decided that depending on the day we each are more like a certain character in the book. For example today I was such a Scottie. Just running in every direction like a chicken with it's head cut off. LOL (pronounced Lawl).

    ReplyDelete